If you read Progress Report 1, you’ll know that the blog I set up for this case study is Cheap Electricity Options.
To recap, Week 1 of the blog development involved keyword research and identifying if the niche wasn’t too competitive and that there were enough products for it to advertise. Week 1 closed with the installation of the blog, selecting a theme and adding a home page and article. The blog is set up to use a static home page.
Week 2 saw the preparation of some articles for the site that were scheduled to be posted over the next 2-3 weeks. I also created a report to entice visitors to sign up for the email series that is also being added, on an ongoing basis, to the site.
Week 3 was mostly about promoting the site and starting the backlinking process.
So now to week 4…:
Actually, I didn’t do much with the blog this week apart from adding a few more emails to the AWEBER autoresponder, preparing a couple of new articles for the site and manually submitting the site to a couple of more places for backlinks.
This is the final week of the “seasoning” period for the blog when it’s presented to the search engines as a content-only site with 100% unique articles. Once this week is done, the search engines (especially Google) should have identified the site as a content-only site and not an affiliate site full of ads. According to what I’ve heard, that perception of the site should stick when I start turning on ads next week. That’s the theory anyway.
Since week 2 when I added the Web Traffic Genius plugin to the site, this has been sending out rss feeds for new posts to the RSS aggregator sites on autopilot, each time a post has been published. This plugin silently builds ongoing backlinks to the site and various pages on it and takes the pain out of having to manually do such submissions. It’s success is reflected in the number of Yahoo Backlinks that Cheap Electricity Options now has.
Another advantage of using this plugin is that it unpacks posts that use WordPress shortcodes to pull content and build a post. Such shortcodes are used by the WordPress Mage and WPRobot plugins that can populate posts on autopilot. But further discussion of those is for another post.
Results So Far…
The blog has been online for four weeks now and ten articles have been posted. The optin form I manually added to the sidebar has been on the site for 3 weeks and the opt-in forms created by Subscriber’s Magnet have been on for 2 weeks.
Pages Indexed in Google: 69. Most of these are tag pages but the main site pages have been indexed too.
Links in Google: 0 (as expected). I don’t expect to see Google links appear for several weeks as they seem slow to update such info.
Yahoo Backlinks: 1175. Still climbing.
Unique Visitors: 36 visitors of which 25 were unique. Double that of week 2.
Number of Visits: 92. Averaging 2.56 visits per day. Most of these are still my own visits to the site when checking new posts and doing some editing to fix errors.
Page Views: 92. Still skewed by my own visits to the site when checking new posts and doing some editing to fix errors.
Bounce Rate: 41.67%. Dropping but pretty good. Probably reflects the behaviour of real visitors rather than my own visits to the site.
Newsletter Subscribers: 0. Still not enough unique visitors to get a proportion of them to sign up for the newsletter.
Next week, I start turning on the ads!
Tagged with: Ads • Aweber Autoresponder • Backlinks • Blog • Case Study • Cheap Electricity • Creation • Electricity Options • Email • Genius • Google • Google Links • Keyword • Magnet • New Articles • Newsletter Subscribers • Niche • Page Views • Perception • Progress Report • Proportion • Rss Aggregator • Search Engines • Sidebar • Submissions • Subscriber • Unique Visitors • Web Traffic • Week 1 • Yahoo • Yahoo Backlinks
Filed under: Blogging